Wednesday 29 June 2011

PRO FOOTBALL; Smith Heads for the Record With Soulful Determination

Two days before  Smith hoped to make his most memorable run, the one that would push him past Walter Payton as the National Football League's career rushing leader, Smith lay flat on his back. It is a position Smith assumes on most Friday afternoons, with Dr. Rob Parker kneading the knots out of his body, the buildup of muscle aches and pure torture over 13 pro seasons and 16,634 rushing yards gained, all as a Cowboy.
Before peering ahead, Smith looked at the present.
''I don't know if young players today understand they have to do something extra to get the upper hand,'' said Smith, who needs 93 rushing yards against Seattle here on Sunday to top Payton's record of 16,726. ''A lot of guys know they aren't going to get cut because of salary cap issues. Some of them talk to me about getting what I got; I ask them, do they know what it took to get it? I tell them I want to see them do some of those things. I ask them, will you do something greater than collect a check? Can you mature and be respectfulHe asks them if they will work hard at their games once they are away from the football complex. Will they do extra work and make smart decisions to take care of their bodies? Are they willing to make sacrifices to be away from their families? Are they willing to give everything in games and sometimes sacrifice individual goals for team-oriented ones?
Smith, 33, always has, with a spirited caveat.
''I run from my soul,'' he said. ''With the football in my hands, everything originates from my soul.''
That may be Smith's defining trait, a runner with soul as much as rhythm and tenacity, a player who answers when his number is called, a tailback who dots an I formation with an exclamation point.
''I've got three Super Bowl rings,'' Smith said. ''I'm recently married and have seen my children born. I've been to the White House. And through all of my experiences, God has prepared me for this moment. I've been able to keep a balance and I know how to approach this. I'm not a spectator -- I'm the one involved in this -- but I still can't wait to come out of that tunnel and see the fans and the atmosphere surrounding this event. It will be special, but nothing is guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment